The Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 caught the eye of the best waterproof camera reviewers because it has some really nice features, plus it is also an affordable underwater digital camera. On the surface, the camera may not look as ‘tough” as its name implies, but actually it is pretty tough. This camera has been designed to survive in any environment. Users can take it anywhere and it produces respectable photos and records HD 720p video.
The Olympus Stylus Tough-8010 is a 14-megapixel pocket-sized camera that’s waterproof to 33 feet and can withstand drops of over 6.6 feet, freezeproof to 14 degrees Fahrenheit and crushproof up to 220 pounds of pressure. Some of the features of the camera include 720p video, a 28-140mm optical zoom, dual image stabilization and tracking auto focus. This camera does not have GPS capability nor does it make the claim it is dustproof. The Olympus Stylus is one of the best waterproof cameras because it is well built and durable due to its all metal body. It also comes in several colors, silver, black and blue. But how does it compare to other rugged compacts available? Read on to find out. Checkout the current price of the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010.
- 14 megapixels (effective), 1/2.3 in. image sensor; 5x optical zoom plus 5x digital zoom
- 2.7 inch LCD display, features an extra-wide viewing angle and anti-glare technology
- One touch HD movie (720p); HDMI movie mode
- Waterproof, Shockproof, Freezeproof and Crushproof
- Sensor Shift and Dual Image Stabilization; AF Tracking; Creative Art Filters; Face Detection; Beauty Mode; Perfect Shot Preview
- Intelligent Auto, adjusts settings for optimization after identifying shooting scene
- 2GB internal memory; USB 2.0 high-speed; SD compatible (card not included)
- 14.0 megapixel CCD
- 19 Scene Modes including several underwater modes
- Tap Control for underwater use or when wearing gloves.
- Rechargeable Battery, 200 shots
- Storage Media SD/SDHC; 2 GB internal memory (1.6Gb for storage)
- Weight 7.5 ounces (with battery and memory card)
- Size: 3.9 x 2.5 x 0.94-inches
- File format (still/video) JPEG/MPEG-4
Olympus Stylus Tough-8010 Feature Descriptions
Waterproof: This camera has a revolutionary system of waterproof seals and gaskets that keep water out so users can take pictures as deep as 33 feet underwater.
Shockproof: This best waterproof camera is tough with a rugged metal body and innovative shock-absorbing construction. It is designed to withstand a 6.6-foot drop, bump, or any other mishap.
Freezeproof:The Stylus Tough-8010 is winterized to perform at below-freezing temperatures up to 14°F/-10°C. Perfect for skiing, snowboarding, sledding and other winter activities. This camera is winterized to perform at below-freezing temperatures!
Crushproof: With a rugged body and reinforced LCD, the Stylus Tough-8010 can withstand up to 220 pounds of pressure so your camera and images are protected.
HD Video 720p The Stylus Tough comes equipped with a one-touch button that allows users to record movies widescreen with amazing clarity in high-definition.
14 Megapixel: An amazing 14 million pixels in the high-resolution CCD create superior image quality. Create poster-sized prints without losing a single detail.
5x Wide-Angle Optical Zoom: A 5x wide-angle optical zoom captures more of the subject in each shot. The lens does not protrude from the camera which protects it from harsh conditions.
2.7-inch LCD: This large 2.7-inch LCD features an extra-wide viewing angle and anti-glare technology for easier composing and shooting even in direct, bright sunlight.
2 GB Internal Memory: Store more photos and videos than ever before, right in your camera with 2GB of internal memory (usable memory is actually 1.63GB).
Shockproof: Durable metal body with an innovative shock-absorbing technology protects it from drops of up to 6.6 feet.
Dual Image Stabilization: This feature combines Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization with high ISO sensitivity and fast shutter speeds so users can capture crisp, clear images even when the subject is moving.
Tap Control: Operate picture playback, shadow adjustment, flash mode and more just by tapping the top, back and sides of the camera. Tap Control is ideal for underwater use or when wearing gloves.
AF Tracking: AF Tracking automatically tracks unpredictable, fast-moving subjects such as kids and pets, and continuously adjusts the focus and brightness so you can capture photographic opportunities with ease.
Creative Art Filters: This feature provides photos a distinct look by applying special artistic effects including Pop Art, Fisheye, Drawing and Pinhole.
Intelligent Auto: Identifies the scene you’re shooting: portrait, landscape, night portrait, macro, or sport and adjusts the settings to optimize results.
Advanced Face Detection: Advanced Face Detection tracks up to 12 faces and automatically focuses and optimizes exposures for sharp, brilliant portrait pictures.
In-Camera Panorama: In-Camera Panorama captures three images and stitches them together to create one amazing panoramic picture by simply pressing the shutter button and slowly panning across a scene.
Shadow Adjustment: Shadow Adjustment Technology brings out more details in shadows. It helps capture scenes exactly as you see them, even in difficult lighting situations, such as backlit shots.
Beauty Mode: Beauty Mode takes beautiful portraits by softening shadows and smoothing wrinkles and blemishes on your subject’s face. Edits can also be made inside the camera after taking the picture.
Perfect Shot: Using a live, multi-frame window on the LCD, you can preview the effects of various settings, select and capture the perfect shot.
- The Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 digital camera withstands harsh environments while taking very good pictures. The heavy-duty housing is well-sealed from the elements, with the battery compartment, proprietary USB/AV terminal and Mini-HDMI port sealed by an O-ring protected double-locked door.
- Lens is protected by a retracting shield. Beware of sand or dirt getting trapped between the lens and lens cover. When the camera is turned off, the lens is protected by a metal cover that automatically drops down when the camera is powered on. The lens is set back into the body, making it difficult to easily wipe clean, and if you’re not careful about washing away all dirt or sand from the lens before shutting it off, the protector will slide up and get stuck
- All metal body, durable and easy to use
- Olympus Tap Control has a 3D accelerometer used as an input method, which allows different patterns of taps on the camera’s body from different directions to control functions on the camera
- Nice to have the LED in front between the flash and lens which can be turned on to light up your subject
- Camera connects seamlessly to the TV for immediate watching of movies and photographs
- Panorama setting is cool and looks great
- The HD video looks good
- Settings are fairly easy to use
- Size and weight are good
- Video recording is easy
- Underwater photos and video turns out great, very impressive
- Handles water, sand and heat like nothing
- Good image quality with low noise
- There is no external battery charger included. To charge the battery you open the compartment, plug in the charger cord, and leave it for a couple hours, exposing the inside of the camera to the elements. Users are unable to charge a battery while using another in the camera.
- LCD blackout between shots takes longer than other cameras and at times shows motion blur, however this is not a deal breaker
- Noticeable shutter lag between photos and when starting video recording; takes about a second for the interface to catch up to button presses
- Battery life is average
- User interface is easy to use. However, settings are not stored for the next time the camera is used, makes it difficult to take spontaneous shots, because user may have to pause to set camera options before taking the shot
- Video sound quality is pretty bad, it has some hum and does not capture spoken sounds well
- Zoom is fairly weak, not great for taking photographs at a distance
- Images are soft towards the outer areas of the frame
- No manual with camera, comes with in-camera manual and guide
What’s in the box
- Olympus Stylus Tough-8010 14.0MP Digital Camera
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery (LI-50B)
- USB cable
- A/V cable
- Wrist strap
- Quick start guide
- User’s guide and ib Software in internal memory
See what customers are saying about the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010:
T. J. Moyers states, “Childproof indestructible great HD Video. Best destruction proof camera you can buy, that will go anywhere and do anything and still keep taking pictures and video. ” Review paraphrased. Click here to read the full review.
Another customer, J. D. Leone stated, “FABULOUS camera! Great price! The camera is easy to use for still photos and video. In terms of battery usage, it does very well when shooting still photos with the flash on. For some reason it seems to consume the battery pretty quickly when shooting video….but that doesn’t matter because you can pick up an extra battery for very little money on Amazon. The video files are saved in the MP4 file format….which is GREAT because it takes up less space than AVI files.” The camera is awesome. Review paraphrased. Click here to read the full review.
In conclusion, reviews for the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 are mixed mainly due to shutter lag and battery life. This camera is one of the best water proof cameras because of its sturdiness, video and photograph quality, scene features and Tap Control. Although users have expressed frustration with some issues surrounding the camera, most agree they are not deal breakers and can be overcome. The camera is waterproof, shockproof, crushproof and freezeproof, which makes it more rugged than the competition.
The camera is economical, has a great design, built to last and performs well in inclement weather and underwater conditions. The best waterproof camera reviewers identified this camera as decent and works well as a general purpose point and shoot rugged underwater digital camera.
The Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 is a good option if you need something rugged for shooting outdoors. It’s perfect if you want to throw it in your pocket or bag and not worry about it. Whether you’re at the beach, on a mountain trail, or in a blizzard this camera takes amazing shots. Most users report that this camera has met their expectations and is an adventurist dream. Take a look at the most current price of the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010. Click Here Now!
Tagged with: Olympus Stylus Tough-8010 • underwater camera • underwater photography • waterproof camera • waterproof digital camera • waterproof video camera • weatherproof camera • weatherproof compact camera
Filed under: Best Waterproof Camera Reviews
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!