The Olympus Tough TG-610 is an economical camera that takes nice photographs and video. It is one of the tough models that has everything except being dustproof and crushproof. Plus, it is waterproof, but only to a depth of 9.8 feet. This camera is made for the beach or pool, and can also be shared by the kids. This model has 14MP resolution, a 3.0 inch LCD display and 5x optical zoom.
It does not come with GPS, but that shouldn’t be a deal breaker. For the money, it performs very well and has some really great features that should be considered. This model has the new 3D feature added and not only can you take a 3D image on land or underwater, but you can also view it on a 3D laptop, TV or other 3D device.
The TG-610 is small, light and no thicker than a standard cell phone. The display is impressive because it has very thick glass which means you can go without having a screen protector installed. This model has a double lock system that ensures protection for the battery, flash memory card and external connections when underwater. There is also a metal lens cap that protects the optical zoom lens. The display also has some excellent viewing angles that are not affected by bright light. This model comes in a choice of colors: black, red and silver.
Olympus TG-610 Product Features
- Resolution: 14 megapixels
- Display: 3.0 inch LCD monitor
- Sensor Technology: CCD
- No GPS ( Featured in TG-810 Model)
- Optical Zoom: 5x Optical Zoom and and 4X digital zoom
- Waterproof; Shockproof; Freeze proof
- Dual image stabilization; 3D Photos (even underwater)
- USB 2.0 High-Speed; SD/SDHC/SDXC compatible (card not included)
- Waterproof Depth: 16 feet
- Freezeproof: 14F
- Shockproof: 5 feet
- Video: One touch 720p HD Movie with HDMI
- Battery: 1 Lithium ion battery (included)
- Battery life: 210 shots
- Dimensions: 3.9 x 2.5 x 1.0 inches
- Weight: 11.2 ounces (with battery and memory card)
- Colors: Black, Red or Silver
What’s In The Box
- Lithium-ion rechargeable battery (LI-50B)
- AC charger
- 4GB SDHC memory card
- USB cable
- AV cable
- Wrist strap
- Olympus setup CD
- Home Photo Suite 3-title software DVD-ROM
- Instruction manual
- Manufacturer’s 1-year limited warranty
Waterproof, Shockproof and Freezeproof
Waterproof seals and gaskets keeps water out at depth up to 16 feet. The TG-610 has a durable body with shock absorbing technology that protects it from drop of up to 5 feet. It is also freezeproof to as low as 14 degrees Fahrenheit.
14MP Photo Resolution
This camera takes great photos and has the ability to create poster size prints without loss of image quality.
3.0″ Hypercrystal III LCD Monitor
Enhances LCD brightness even in direct sunlight so that images are displayed sharply with improved contrast and provides for wide viewing angles without glare or shadow, so images can be framed from a variety of angles and viewed by several people at once.
TruePic III Image Processor
Olympus’ latest-generation image processing engine automatically enhances important aspects of image quality including: Color reproduction (color range, saturation and brightness), picture sharpness (reduced image noise, improved edge reproduction), as well as providing faster processing speeds.
One-touch HD video recording
Capture live action in 720p high definition.
3D photo capability
Shoots two pictures and combines them into a single image that can be viewed on a 3D device.
Dual image stabilization
Combines Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization with high ISO sensitivity and fast shutter speeds to produce crisp, clear images even if the subject is moving.
Operate picture playback, shadow adjustment, flash mode and other features just by tapping the top, back and sides of the camera. Ideal for underwater use or when wearing gloves.
- Wi-Fi compatibility with optional EYE-FI card (sold separately)
- Panorama mode
Overall great camera. . . This camera has a lot of features. I looked at this one in person and loved the fact it has two locking mechanisms, as well as two different rubber gaskets to seal the battery and memory card compartment. Read the entire review here.
YAY for TG-610! After doing what I would consider a decent amount of research on underwater digital cameras, I settled on the Olympus TG-610. I was a little nervous by some of the reviews for everyday pictures, but this one seemed to be the best for the buck. I couldn’t be happier! Read the entire review here.
- The panorama update is very easy to use and seamless.
- The TG-610 has two locking mechanisms as well as two different rubber gaskets to seal the battery and memory card compartment.
- Camera is durable and tough
- It does the trick as rapid shot pocket camera.
- Takes very crisp photos and video under water in underwater mode
- Simple and intuitive to use
- Good waterproofing
- Bright LCD display
- Unable to focus, whether in bright or low light, high or low contrast.
- Short battery life especially when using video
- Sensitive joystick, required a light touch
- Slow startup time
- Have to leave the battery door open to charge battery which makes the door susceptible to damage.
- Water entered battery door that appeared to be closed properly
Is The Olympus TG-610 Worth Buying?
If you’re looking for a camera that is tough enough to take on vacation around water and can be enjoyed by everyone in the family, the TG-610 would be a good buy. It has some really neat features that include 3D photo capability, one touch HD 720P video recording, Tap Control and 3 inch Hypercrystal III LCD Monitor and dual image stabilization. Although, this model does not come with GPS, it would still make a good purchase for capturing those special memories. Take a look at the video below to see the Olympus Tough TG-610 at work.
Filed under: Best Waterproof Camera Reviews
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!