Welcome to the Best Waterproof Camera review site. ThePanasonic Lumix DMC-TS 20 is part of Panasonic’s tough camera models. The TS 20 is a compact and affordable waterproof camera that has some really nice features for the money. For example, it comes with a 16MP imaging sensor, 4x optical zoom with Mega O.I.S, 720P HD video recording and a 2.7 inch LCD screen. Additionally, the TS 20 is powered by a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery and is capable of capturing up to 250 images.
The Panasonic Lumix DMC TS 20 is easy to use with user friendly button and menu choices. The camera can take action shots and video whether on land or while participating in a number of vigorous activities and family outings involving the beach, pool or even skiing. There is a dedicated video record button on the camera that allows one touch video recording without having to change the camera’s shooting mode. Because the camera is waterproof, it can perform active shooting on a beach, underwater or in a pool. The camera has four active sports modes that can be easily selected from the menu.
Depending on shooting conditions, the DMC-TS20’s 2.7-inch LCD will automatically adjusts brightness in 11 steps whether you’re in direct sunlight or underwater. Additionally, the AR (anti-reflective) coating on the LCD minimizes glare and provides clear images, for high visibility even in outdoor brightness. Because of the size of the LCD screen it leaves enough space for the controls to be easily accessed with two hands or one. Videos can be played back on the camera’s LCD screen, computer or any TV with the included A/V cable. Unfortunately, the Panasonic Lumix DMC- TS 20 does not have HDMI output.
If you’re looking for a waterproof camera that is tough enough to withstand the elements, kids and handle most of your adventuresome activities the Panasonic TS 20 could be the camera for you. The specs on the camera are good and it functions adequately as compared to other cameras with the same specs and features. This camera is one of the bestselling waterproof cameras on Amazon. If you’ve got the budget, this could be the camera for you, so read on to find out more.
Key Specs For The Panasonic Lumix DMC TS 20
- Release Year: 2011
- 2.7″ LCD with AR Coating & TFT Screen Display (230K dots)
- Optical Sensor Resolution: 16.1 MP
- 720P HD Video
- HD Video Recording in MP4 Format
- Mega O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer)
- Optical zoom: 4 x
- 16ft Waterproof, 5ft Shockproof, 14°F Freezeproof, Dustproof
- Display Size: 2.7 inches
- Built-in Flash
- Memory: 70MB internal
- Power Supply: Rechargeable battery
- Dimensions (inches): 3.98 x 2.30 x 0.76 Weight (oz.): 0.31 lb
- Colors: Black, Blue, Orange and Red
What’s in the Box?
- TS20 Digital Camera
- Battery Pack
- Battery Charger
- AV Cable
- USB Cable
- Hand Strap
Feature Descriptions of The Panasonic Lumix TS 20
The DMC-TS20 falls into the category of cameras designed for all kinds of outdoor action use. The DMC-TS20 is designed to stand up to some wear and tear because of it’s solid build and a surface that is pretty resistant to damage. More importantly, the camera is shockproof, waterproof, freezeproof and dustproof. The rugged design allows for waterproof to approximately 16 feet (5 meters), shockproof to approximately 5 feet (1.5 meters), dustproof and freezeproof to temperatures as low as 14ºF.
4 Active Outdoor Scene Modes
The DMC-TS20 has four active outdoor Scene Modes: Sports, Snow, Beach & Surf and Underwater. Each scene can be selected easily accessible menu on the camera. Because you can access the menu quickly, you won’t have to be afraid of missing that special moment or shot.
2.7-inch Intelligent LCD with AR Coating
The DMC-TS20’s 2.7-inch LCD automatically adjusts the brightness in 11 steps according to shooting conditions. In addition, the AR (anti-reflective) coating LCD minimizes glare and provides clear images, for high visibility even in the sunlight.
MP4 HD Video Recording
The DMC-TS20 can record HD motion images (1,280 x 720 pixels) in MP4 format. A special, dedicated button lets you instantly start recording videos while shooting photos without having to make any extra settings. In addition, a 4x optical zoom is available in video recording. Motion pictures in MP4 can be recorded continuously for up to 29 minutes 59 seconds.
MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) with Active Mode and Shake Detection
In an effort to decrease blur, the DMC-TS20 is equipped with Active Mode for an option of image stabilization while performing video recording. Additionally, Optical Image Stabilizer compensates for the blurring caused by hand-shake. Even a slight hand-shake movement is detected and the camera will compensate for it by producing sharp, clear images. MEGA O.I.S. is effective for scenes such as night shooting, dimly lit rooms and underwater photos.
iA (Intelligent Auto) Mode
In the iA Mode, the camera does all the work, leaving you free to compose your shot and capture the moment. You just press, aim and shoot. The detection and correction functions work to provide great photos and videos.
Face Recognition, Face, Subject & Scene Detection
The Face Recognition function remembers faces that have been registered in the camera and provides the faces with optimal focus and exposure. The Face Detection function detects faces anywhere in the frame and automatically chooses the optimal focus and exposure. The Face Detection also features the Digital Red-eye Correction (Red-eye Removal). Once you focus on your subject, the AF Tracking automatically and continuously tracks and keeps the subject in focus and proper exposure. The Intelligent Scene Selector senses the ambient conditions and automatically selects a Scene Modes for optimal image quality.
25mm Ultra Wide-angle Lens
The 16.1-megapixel high-resolution DMC-TS20 features a 25mm wide-angle lens with 4x optical zoom (35mm equivalent: 25-100mm). The 25mm ultra wide-angle lens has about twice the shooting area as a standard 35mm lens. This enhances various shooting situations, such as when taking a photo of a large group of people or shooting a large structure or sweeping landscape while traveling.
8x Intelligent Zoom
The Intelligent Zoom is an extensive zoom function using digital zoom, which means the 4x optical can extend to 8x equivalent.
The rechargeable lithium-ion battery will allow up to 250 shots on a single battery charge.
Panasonic Lumix TS 20: The Pros
- Menu navigation: Unlike some of the other cameras on the market, the menu is very intuitive and easy to change when necessary. The buttons are also well placed and responsive.
- Fast shutter speed: captures subjects in motion without blur.
- Speakers: The camera has really good speakers when playing back video.
- Image Quality: For a point and shoot, the camera takes fantastic images, both inside and out. Some pictures taken in darker rooms turn out grainy.
- Settings: When recording video, the settings do not have to be changed between photo and video. One of the features include the DMC TS20 having a designated button for video recording.
- Video Quality: The TS20 picks up motion pretty good and lower level light. The videos are acceptable quality.
- Durability: Compact, fairly lightweight, durable and sturdy.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20: The Cons
- Image Quality: Some users have reported that the DMC-TS20 suffers from slightly poor image quality. Images lack sharpness and features some noise. The quality of the images are not terrible, but could be better. Images appear to have some noise in them when viewed at full size.
- Zoom: Users report zoom is good if you are fairly close to the subject. Digital zoom is not the greatest.
- Storage for Video Recordings: Users report that no matter how much storage you have, the TS20 will not record video over 30 minutes.
- Panorama images are poor.
- Light Flash: The Panasonic TS20 flashes a light even when the flash is set to off which means you can’t take a photo without some type of light flash going off.
- Manual Operation: There are no manual options on this digital camera, but it does include Panasonic’s Intelligent Auto Image to aid in more accurate shooting.
- Water Proofing: Some consumers report water proofing failures on this camera (although this tends to be true of all consumer cameras advertised as water proof). It’s difficult to say with certainty whether these failures result from misuse of the camera by the owner, or if they are genuine faults. The best thing to do is treat the camera with extreme care, and follow all the instructions to the letter.
“Fantastic Camera, in and out of Water. . .” I have had this camera for about a month and I absolutely love it. I wanted a waterproof camera so I wouldn’t have to worry about ruining it in the rain, snow, dirt, or anything else I throw at it. Click here to read the full review.
“This camera was a great purchase and would totally buy it again.” Click here to read the full review.
Is The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Worth Buying?
All of the listed features for this camera makes it an excellent all-round action camera. Although there are some issues with the DMC-TS20, they appear not to be the norm and shouldn’t be considered a deal breaker. Some of the same issues exist in rival products as well.
Most consumers that have bought the tough, rugged waterproof cameras cautions against having high expectations regarding the image and video quality. The cameras will not produce the same quality images or video as a DSLR camera. You just have to keep in mind that what you get for a tough and rugged camera, i.e., waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof and dustproof that you have to give up something and that’s usually image quality.
Overall, the camera performs reasonably well and the price is affordable. The Panasonic Lumix DMC TS20 is highly recommended and is one of the top bestsellers on Amazon.
The video below covers some of the features of the TS20.
Tagged with: best waterproof camera • Panasonic Lumix DMC- TS20 • underwater digital camera • underwater photography • waterproof camera • waterproof cameras • waterproof digital camera • waterproof video camera • weatherproof cameras • weatherproof compact camera
Filed under: Best Waterproof Camera Reviews
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!