Adventure enthusiasts can get ready for any environment with the PENTAX Optio WG-1 Waterproof Digital Camera with GPS and 5X Optical Zoom. This camera is PENTAX’s 12th rugged generation best waterproof digital camera. It’s tough, rugged and suitable for almost any situation or setting. The Pentax Optio WG-1 with GPS is waterproof, shock-proof, crush-proof, dust-proof and even freeze-proof. It is waterproof to 33 feet for underwater shooting, shockproof from up to a 5-foot drop, crush-proof to withstand up to 220 pounds of force, freezeproof to 14 degrees Fahrenheit, and dust-proof.
Also, the camera has some advanced features such as, 14MP resolution, Zoom 5X, GPS functionality, a 2.7 inch LCD, HDMI port and digital shake reduction to name a few. Pentax claims the Optio WG-1 is the start of the next generation of rugged compact cameras as part of the best waterproof camera selections, but can this uniquely styled camera live up to its billing?
Technical Details for Pentax Optio WG-1 GPS Digital Camera
- Resolution: 14 Megapixels
- LCD Size:2.7 in
- 5x optical zoom
- HDMI port can play back HD images and video on HDTVs
- 720p HD Widescreen Video Capture
- Digital Shake Reduction
- Digital Microscope Mode
- Water/Shock/Crush/Cold and Dust Proof (33feet/5 feet/220 lbs./14 degrees F)
- Ergonomic Design
- GPS functionality (only in Orange, Gray and Yellow/Green models)
- Memory Storage: SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card Slot
- Battery: Rechargeable battery (Included)
- Colors: Orange, Gray and Yellow/Green
What’s In The Box
- Pentax Optio WG-1 Camera
- Macro stand
- Rechargeable Li-Ion battery and charger
- Carrying strap
- USB cable
- Carabiner strap
- Audio / video cable
- CD-ROM software
Pentax Optio WG-1 GPS Feature Descriptions
Digital Shake Reduction
Pixel Track and Digital Shake Reduction ensures sharp, blur-free images.
GPS functionality allows for positional data recording with images for geo-tagging applications (GPS capability in Gray and Yellow/Green models).
Detachable Macro Stand
This hand detachable macro stand is used in assisting for steadier shots, with the final being very crisp photos. The macro stand is a simple attachment that helps steady the camera for macro photos, nice supplement if your excursion is based solely to capture macro shots where you can set the camera close to the subject.
The Optio WG-1 comes with a 925mAh Li-Ion rechargeable battery. Battery life of the WG-1 is rated for about 260 still shots or 120 minutes of video capture.
Battery Release Clasp
The WG-1 features a dual unlocking method to remove the battery cover.
- Design: Pentax Optio WG-1 is made from reinforced polycarbonate and aluminum; it is waterproof to 33 feet, shock-proof to 4.9 feet, crushproof to 220 pounds of pressure and even freeze-proof to – 14 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Carbiner Strap: Optio WG-1 comes with its own carabiner strap which can easily be attached to a belt or backpack. Users won’t have to worry about dropping it or using it underwater; the WG-1 really is one of the toughest rugged digital cameras on the market.
- Macro Shooting: The lens is surrounded by five LEDs which light up the subject of your photo. The LEDs provide even, consistent lighting, while avoiding the typical over-exposure that many people encounter with standard flash cameras.
- Waterproof: ThePentax Optio WG-1 is waterproof and also water functional. In shallow depths with decent light, photos and even videos are clear and visible. At lower depths, the digital microscope mode and LED lights allow for great quality close up shots. The Optio WG-1 was submerged in a muddy stream with no operational failures, although some debris did get underneath the battery and HDI seals. However, no moisture or dust was found to have entered the compartments.
- Camera Start-up: The WG-1 powers up fairly quickly, displaying a focus point in about 1.4 seconds after pushing the power button. The user was able to get off a first shot in about 2.25 seconds. Single shot to shot times ran about 2.75 seconds.
- Power button recessed to the point where it takes slightly more effort to manipulate
- Questionable if LCD is anti-reflective, especially when the screen is covered in fingerprints (which it collects quite easily).
- No eye level viewfinder, which makes it difficult to use outdoors in bright sunshine, because of the reflections off the viewing screen
- Battery Release Clasp could be a problem if the latch is accidentally held in the door release positions. This would release the cover door to the battery and memory card compartment which may permit water or dust to enter the area.
- Battery life is short especially with GPS on. Suggest purchasing second battery. Battery recharges in two hours.
See What Customers Are Saying About The Pentax Optio WG-1
One customer stated, “Very entertaining WG-1. The over all feel of this camera is strong and allows a sturdy grip by the user. I love having metal and rubber on my electronics. My camera has been underwater about 15 ft. I’ve seen no problems with leaking. It has two openings; one for battery and sd card, and one for HD/AV hook-up. Both seem strong and sturdy to me. Overall I really love this camera. . .” Review was paraphrased. Click here to read the entire review.
Another user also stated, “GREAT underwater/MACRO camera. The durability and the rugged feel of this camera right away impressed me. I felt like I was holding a camera that wouldn’t break if I dropped it or tossed it into my purse. It was exactly what I needed for an outdoor/adventure trip. Overall, this is a great camera for it’s price. The camera performs well under most conditions.” Review was paraphrased. Click here to read the entire review.
Is the Pentax Optio WG-1 Waterproof Digital Camera Worth Buying?
If you’re looking for one of the toughest rugged compact cameras in the market, this is the camera for you. This camera is ideal for those looking for a new camera to compliment an adventurous lifestyle. The WG-1 gives more than adequate picture quality and its digital microscope mode will delight macro enthusiasts.
Pentax Optio WG-1 with GPS is dustproof and with its waterproof feature, users can shoot photos underwater. The shock proof feature of this camera allows dropping it from a 5 foot height without damaging it. The crush proof feature of this camera makes it withstand a force of up to 220 pounds of pressure.
Users can flex their sense of adventure with this new generation camera from Pentax. It is the 12th generation camera with new and improved features from previous models. In addition to the rugged features of the camera, it also includes a 14 megapixel sensor, enhanced the Digital Microscope mode with a total of five macro LEDs for excellent macro lighting plus a detachable macro stand for steadier capture.
The Pentax Optio WG-1 offers good overall image quality, speedy shooting performance, and various useful exposure options. With these qualities, this camera is definitely deserving as being part of the best waterproof camera reviews. Checkout the video below, it explains the neat features of the Pentax WG-1.
Tagged with: best waterproof camera • Pentax Optio WG-1 • Pentax Option WG-1 GPS Kit • underwater camera • underwater digital camera • underwater photography • waterproof camera • waterproof digital camera • waterproof video camera • weatherproof camera • weatherproof compact camera
Filed under: Best Waterproof Camera Reviews
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!