Welcome to the best waterproof camera website. This review will cover the features of the new Pentax Optio WG-2 Waterproof Digital Camera which is an upgrade from the Pentax Optio WG-1. The Optio W-2 not only has some cosmetic changes, such as new colors and the specs of the camera have been updated as well. The W-2, like the W-1 comes with or without the GPS kit depending on the color of the camera. The non-GPs WG-2 is available in red and black while the WG-2 with GPS is available in orange and white.
The look of the Optio WG-2 has taken on a more rugged appearance which includes housing an improved 3-inch wide half VGA LCD screen versus the 2.7 inch screen on the WG-1. Pentax reports the specs on the Optio WG-2 upgraded to include being waterproof to 40 feet instead of like the WG-1 at 33 feet, it is also freezeproof to 14 degrees Fahrenheit, crushproof to 220 lbs., shockproof from 5 feet and dustproof.
The Pentax Optio WG-2 with GPS also has a new 16 MP backlit sensor, full-HD 1080 video recording. Checkout photographs taken with this model by clicking here. In comparison, other updated features include:
- Improved resolution (16MP CMOS versus 12MP CCP)
- Enhanced back LCD resolution (HVGA versus QVGA)
- Additional MACRO LED (6 versus 5) lights
- Superior video operation (records in H.264 .mov format, 1080p at 30fps, 720p at 60fps)
Technical Features of the Pentax Optio WG-2
- 16-Megapixel Backside Illuminated CMOS Imaging Sensor
- 3.0-Inch Extra Wide LCD Screen and anti-reflective coating on its protective cover
- 5x Optical zoom lens: 28-140mm (35mm equivalent)
- Pixel Track, Digital, and Movie Shake Reduction
- Auto Shooting mode
- 1080p HD video recording
- Built-in GPS (Orange and White camera models only)
- Waterproof to 40ft.
- Can survive drops from 5 ft.
- FreezeProof to 14°F
- CrushProof up to 220lbs.
- Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery
- Colors: Black, Vermilion Red, Shiny Orange and Gloss White
- Dimensions: 4.8 x 2.4 x 1.2 in
- Weight:7 oz (GPS Models) and 6.8 ounces (Non-GPs models)
What’s In The Box
- Lithium-ion rechargeable battery
- Battery charger
- AC power cord
- Macro stand
- Optio floating strap
- Carabiner strap
- USB cable
- Camera software
- Consumer Operating manual & Quick start guide
Feature Description Of The Pentax Optio WG-2 With GPS
Can withstand rigors of being tossed in a bag, kids playing with it and using it during intense physical activities. The rubber exterior and design makes the camera easy to hold in your hands or while wearing gloves. Additionally, the Pentax Optio WG-2 is waterproof to a depth of 40 feet, shockproof to 5 feet, crushproof construction is advertised to withstand weights up to 220 pounds, freezeproof to 14 degrees Fahrenheit and also dustproof which protects the camera from dry, dusty environments.
3 inch LCD
LCD monitor with wide 16:9 aspect ratio and approximately 460,000 dots of resolution (HVGA) and anti-reflective coating which will minimize glare and reflections to ensure clear on screen images even during sunlight. The wide-view design offers a clear view of the monitor from approximately 170 degrees horizontally and vertically, which helps when performing low and high angle photo shooting.
Reinforced glass protects the Optio WG-2 camera lens. Users won’t have to worry about having to protect the camera by placing it in a camera bag or having to handle it with care out of fear of scratching or damaging the lens.
Triple Shake Reduction (SR) protection
Pixel Track, Digital, and Movie Shake Reduction ensure sharp, blur-free images and video. When recording still images, this shake-reduction mechanism effectively compensates for camera shake by digitally processing affected images. Note: When the Movie SR mode is selected, the angle of view becomes narrower than normal shooting.
5X Optical Zoom Lens With 28mm Wide-angle Coverage
The new Optio WG2 cameras feature a high-performance 5X optical zoom lens that has the ability to capture images of a wide range of subjects and scenes. The cameras Intelligent Zoom function extends the zoom range to capture extra-high-magnification images without compromising image quality. The WG-2 also has the capability of focusing on objects 1 centimeter from the front of the camera.
16MP back-illuminated CMOS sensor
Backlit 16 megapixel CMOS sensor offers superior high resolution imaging without compromising image quality, color accuracy, and noise performance.
GPS functionality (Orange and White models only)
GPS functionality allows for positional data recording with images for geo-tagging applications, as well as position logging and flexible time sync when traveling.
1080p HD movie recording
Record video in 1080HD at 30 frames per second. The Optio WG-2 can be connected to a compatible HDTV (optional HDMI cable sold separately) to view your recordings in HD.
Auto Picture mode
The Pentax WG-2 is equipped to automatically selects the most appropriate shooting mode from among 16 different scene choices.
Stand standard accessory for effortless macro photography. It acts as a stand to level and limit camera shaking when photographing an object in macro.
Digital Microscope mode
Digital Microscope mode uses 6 LED lights around the lens for bright, uniform illumination of macro subjects. The LED lights permit higher shutter speeds to reduce camera shake.
- One user stated the carabiner strap was very useful while riding zip lines and during whitewater rafting. During zip line activity, using the Carabiner strap, the camera was attached to the zip line harness loops and during whitewater rafting, hooked to the life jacket. Easy to get to camera without having to put the camera away because of the action or water activities.
- Underwater photos seemed significantly better than any that was shot with the old WG-1. The WG-2 has an anti-shake feature that assists users in taking better photos.
- The night time feature mode has been upgraded on the Optio WG-2 where users can now hold the camera while taking photos.
- The Pentax Optio WG-2 takes great shots and using the preset options improves the results over the auto mode feature.
- Videos are excellent.
- The Pentax Optio WG-2 is a lightweight, rugged compact camera with some awesome features and functions not found in competing models.
- The WG-2’s shooting performance isn’t particularly fast.
- Only has digital image stabilization.
- GPS reduces battery life. It is suggested to purchase an extra battery and car charger.
- Images are not very sharp when viewed on a PC.
What Do Buyers Say About The Pentax WG-2?
So Far it is a great camera. . . “Really versatile cameras such as this one rarely do things as well as a dedicated single purpose camera but if you snorkel, ski, bike, hike, this might be the camera for you.” Read entire review here.
A great little camera. . . “I was looking for a camera that i could take kayaking and was tuff. I was not going to baby it. This is a camera that i clip to my belt loop gets beat up and gets wet. It’s a no muss, no fuss camera.” Read the entire review here.
Additional Features of the Pentax Optio WG-2
- The Pentax WG-2 comes with an infrared remote control compatibility for remote shooting.
- The six LED lights that surround the camera lens are really neat and can be used for several purposes. For example, they can be used as a flashlight, user alerts by blinking while you are using the self timer operation and the LED lights will illuminate during self portraits to indicate that the WG-2 has detected and focused on your face.
- Pentax equipped the Option WG-2 with digital microscope mode which sets the focus and lighting automatically for super macro photography.
- Unique plastic supports located on all four exterior sides of the camera. The supports protects the LED screen of the camera in case the users places the camera on a surface that could scratch the screen.
- Pentax claims that the Pentax Optio is the only camera that comes with a Carabiner strap which will provide additional stability and security to the camera if attached to clothing or a bag.
- The optional Sport Mount Chest Harness that is an accessory for the Pentax Optio WG-2 will retail for around $49.95. Unfortunately, the chest harness is not available yet, but you can find one that may be comparable to Pentax’s chest harness on Amazon. Checkout the GoPro Chest Harness here.
Pentax includes a Carabiner strap that assists in users being able to quickly secure the camera to a bag or belt loop. Users won’t have to worry about dropping the camera into water because Pentax also furnishes an optional accessory floating strap that attaches to the camera and makes it easier to retrieve if it should sink if dropped into deep water.
The video below on best waterproof cameras shows off some of the neat features of the Pentax Optio WG-2. It includes underwater footage and also shows the durability of the camera while in use. Take a look at the video and if you want additional information about the Optio WG-2 camera, click here.
Recommended Accessories For The Pentax Optio WG-2
Battery And Charger Kit For Pentax Optio WG-1, WG-2 Waterproof Digital Cameras
Filed under: Best Waterproof Camera Reviews
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!